|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Class Status:||1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, 4th year, Graduate student||Minimum GPA Requirement:||3.0|
|Open to Non-UVa Students:||No||Education Abroad Advisor:||Martha Sadler|
NOTE: This is the description page for the Nelson Scholars Program, which is included in the Education Abroad Scholarship Application, our common application for multiple awards. Please select the link below to apply for this scholarship using the common application. You do not need to designate which awards you wish to be considered for in the Education Abroad Scholarship Application; you will be considered for any for which you are qualified.
Nelson Scholars Program
Application Deadline: October 15 for spring travel; March 1 for summer or fall travel
Thanks to the generosity of Sally and Bruce Nelson, the Nelson Scholars Program is able to support students pursing language and cultural study in Southeast Asia (comprised of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, East Timor, and Brunei). Funds may be used to cover all or part of round-trip airfare between Charlottesville and Southeast Asia. Award amounts vary and depend upon the quality of the application and proposed study or project as well as the cost to participate. Preference shall be given to applicants who have not received a grant within the past year and have not recently been to Southeast Asia.
- Be a currently enrolled UVA undergraduate or graduate student
- Participate in either an accredited study program or thesis/dissertation-related research fieldwork in Southeast Asia for a minimum of 2 weeks
- Be approved to participate via the appropriate application or registration record listed below. This record must be in-progress by the scholarship application deadline.
- Maintain good academic and disciplinary standing
- Share your experience with the UVA community while abroad through writing, photography, or video
- Share your experience upon return to UVA through lectures, colloquia, seminars, etc. at events coordinated by the East Asia Center
For more information please visit the East Asia Center's Nelson Scholars Program webpage.